FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA will end transfer of AA miles to HH points
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:25 pm
SanDiego1K
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
And then there was Hawaiian.
and Virgin Atlantic - but you're right, given Virgin Atlantic's transfer ratio, it's really only Hawaiian.

Hawaiian - 1 mile -> 2 Hilton points, done by phone, no fee, takes 2 to 4 weeks to post

Virgin Atlantic - 1-1 ratio, no idea about fee or transfer time

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
IIRC, the AA redemption for HH hotels option on the AA site is often considerably worse than the AA miles to HH points transfer option is in terms: of miles it costs; sometimes in terms of availability and the fact that the award reservations can't be cancelled without losing points. (And you do mean redeem miles on the AA site rather than points on the HH site, don't you? Or is the way you put it yet a third option?) Also, I wonder if using AA miles this way renders one's HH status meaningless.
Yes, I mean booking on the AA site. For example, the Conrad Hilton "costs" 50K Hilton points or 85,900 AA miles/night. If you consider that 3 AA miles are "worth" 5 Hilton points, that means they are charging nearly 3x the level that we can currently get by moving miles to Hilton. No wonder AA wants to do hotel bookings directly. And yes, I expressed my concern to the AA lady about losing the benefits of status if it is booked on the AA site.

Anyway, this seems important and different enough news that I'd suggest starting a new thread in the HH forum so more FT members can be aware of it. Otherwise, it will just get buried here. I'd also suggest referencing it in the AA forum with a link connecting it to the HH thread.
I've sent a note to the mods, asking if they want to break this out.

For now, we can make the AA to Hilton transfer at this site:

redeemaamiles.points.com

but it is off the AA website and will be taken from here with no notice.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Aug 11, 2011 at 4:51 pm