FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My Wife Now Gets It
View Single Post
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:38 am
Ancien Maestro
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sent
My husband blew me off when I asked him to call Capital One and upgrade his current Capital One card to the Venture card for the 100K offer. I would even take care of submitting the 100K statement for him since I manage his AA account for the most part anyways. We left for a trip to Italy soon after so I couldn't continue to pester him and by the time we returned the offer was gone. We just used my $1100 from the offer to offset the incidentals during our Europe trip last week. Every time I took out my Venture Card to pay, he sadly shook his head and said he should've listened to me and made that phone call.

During the planning of this same recent Europe trip, he insisted we pay 450 euros a night for a room whereas I insisted we hotel hop during our domestic trips to earn free nights with SPG's current promotion instead. He did somewhat grumble during the hotel hopping but went along with it. What really made him understand was making a spreadsheet showing how much money we actually spend on our vacations and where my FT-tricks where saving us some serious $$$. He makes spreadsheets for a living and after seeing mine, I think a tiny light bulb turned on somewhere in his brain.

He still doesn't understand EQM and why I was mad that he didn't fly his AA flight like he was supposed to and instead let them book him onto DL during a flight issue. I had flown separately earlier in the day so I wasn't there to babysit him through this mess. I just did the math and this one flight is probably going to cost him the difference between nothing and Gold on AA unless I take him on a mileage run. All of this is to him. And since he doesn't really understand a mileage run, it means I have to put a hotel stay in there and tell him that we are going on a very short vacation.

So he now sorta gets it. But we've only been married for a little over a year so there is lifetime of training ahead of us.
If he likes to travel.. he will learn..