FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delhi IGI [DEL] connection/departure experience reports
Old Aug 8, 2011, 2:01 pm
Keyser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by tsastor
1. If I understand correctly, two hours should be enough to connect especially if you don't have to recheck baggage as I don't. Still, delays occur, and without a single PNR and inflexible tickets you always run a risk at having to purchase a prohibitely expensive additional one-way ticket.
2 hours is more than enough....i would suggest sticking with a single pnr....

2. The only hotel close to the airport seems to be the Radisson. I went to their site and they did have a rate of 10000 Rph (excluding taxes of about 20%) that includes airport transfers. Would not touch them with a long stick with those prices, especially in a low-cost country. Ibis and HI don't seem to be real airport hotels. Also, as this is FT, I'd prefer a chain with a good loyalty program like Hilton, Marriott or Accor hotels. Not sure how Radisson treats their loyal customers.
the hilton janakpuri is about 15-20 minutes away by cab....you could consider that as well....the airport hotel is another option....

I still miss a recommendation of hotel regarding the trains both to Agra/Taj Mahal and the airport? What would be a decent hotel close to the New Delhi station? Ideally, would it be possible to walk to both the station and to the Metro to the airport? Or is it possible to take the train to Agra directly from the airport? I see it has a railway station.
there is no good hotel walking distance from the train station....but the le méridien, shangri la, imperial & a few other good hotels are a 5-10 minute cab ride away....

you can take the metro from the airport to the train station....you will then have to catch the train to agra from there....