FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Supreme Court Tosses Lawsuit by Disgruntled Frequent Flier
Old Aug 7, 2011, 5:29 pm
exwannabe

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by bdnyc
I wonder what the facts are in this case. As we all know, there are rules and terms of service with FF programs, and there are several reasons why a passenger can have his FF program membership revoked.

(Also, remember the FF program merger was done first - almost a year before the airline merger itself was completed. Some dormant accounts undoubtedly expired during the transfer despite "several tractor-trailer loads of paper mail to members" to advise them of the program merger. Presumably that isn't the issue here.)

This short article states the plaintiff alleges his membership was revoked for complaining too much. If indeed his membership was revoked, I would presume NW (now DL) had a better reason. ..
The only response from NW I know of is from the appeal ruling:

----
Northwest sent Ginsberg an email on November 20, 2008, detailing the basis for Northwest’s decision to revoke Ginsberg’s membership. In that email the Northwest representative quotes from Para-graph 7 of the General Terms and Conditions of the World-Perks Program, which provides that Northwest may determine“in its sole judgment” whether a passenger has abused the program, and that abuse “may result in cancellation of the member’s account and future disqualification from program participation, forfeiture of all mileage accrued and cancellation of previously issued but unused awards.”
---

If NW (and it was NOT DL back then) had a better reason than "we did it because we could", then they did not disclose it.

BTW, as to dates, the merger occurred Oct '08. Ginsburg had his Perks account revoked 3 months before that. The FF plans were merged later, not earlier as you say. [The FF plan merger was before the single certificate of operations, that might be what you were thinking]

What is:

"If indeed his membership was revoked,"

You are joking?