FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does Hilton have an official policy for walking a Diamond?
Old Aug 4, 2011, 6:49 pm
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Boraxo
As I have said elsewhere, a Diamond should never be walked - ever. If a hotel anticipates an oversold situation, this is always well known by 4pm. At that point they should start walking other guests. You do not walk your best customer when he shows up at 2am after a long flight - that is pure stupidity. And even worse as payment is always guaranteed so you will never have a loss on the room.

I still believe that the hotel chain which offers a "never walk" guarantee to elites would gain some market share, particularly among frequent business travelers.
I agree, a top tier at any chain should NEVER be walked, EVER. And IMO a gold should also never be walked.

There are plenty of times I would have no problem being walked on a weekend or one night stay if the property would follow HHonors guide on compensation for walking a diamond and if I was put up at a similar hotel in the same area, but that should be the diamonds choice to be walked.