FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada told to create nut-free buffer zones
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:10 am
exbayern

Originally Posted by braysu
Interesting posts however I must say I am a bit dissappointed by the comments since my daughter has allergies to nuts & shellfish. Before they had this policy if someone ate nuts next to my daughter we politely advised of our situation or asked to be moved. The smell of peanuts or peanut butter makes her feel ill. She carries an Epipen at all times & has not had an allergic reaction in over 8 years since she is very careful (she used to only want to fly Westjet since they were more accomodating to her) . She would never eat food served in an airplane nor a restaurant. She eats onlly foods she prepares herself & reads every label every time.

I see this as a common courtesy. You would give a seat up for a pregnant woman as would you not blow smoke around someone who may not want to be exposed to second hand smoke ( or has an allergy) The smoking ban has worked well everywhere as far as I can see so not sure why asking a few seats in front & back of an allergic person not to eat nuts for a few hours would be such an inconvenience.

Allergies to nuts is not just a sick feeling, it can cause your throat to swell and you can die. I am surprised at how most people have reacted to this post and hope over time most people understand and accomodate those with allergies.

Thank you to those who made these changes possible.
Do you practice 'common courtesy' in return for demanding it from others? Do you advise the airline at the time of booking and ask the GA to announce it in the gate area several times? Do you expect an entire plane load of people, many of whom may have health issues and/or don't speak English or French, to not eat anything containing nuts, or made in a facility which may process nuts?

I'm not directing all of that at you specifically, but I can assure you that there are many people charging around demanding that others respect them, but who fail to respect others in return.

I have been on far too many AC flights in recent years of lengthy duration where there was a complete ban on eating nuts, BOB, and anything made in a facility which processes nuts. I have sat in the first few rows and witnessed passengers who demand this of the cabin crew.

Those people and their unreasonable expectations have made it very difficult for both other travellers, and other people with various allergies.

I applaud LH for not allowing someone with a nut allergy to fly. She failed to notify the airline in advance and demanded that on a 10 flight on an A340 nobody eat nuts and that no nuts be served.