FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 16 year old travellers: do they need parent's written permission?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:45 am
pacer142

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I do agree with you, but I would be very angry if it happened to any kid... Some days i have nightmares of something happening to my daughter and she is an adult. Society has changed, or we hear more about incidences of abductions, rape etc etc.
We have a massively better access to news than we did years ago, and vastly better forensics etc and other means of catching those up to no good. I don't believe there is a higher risk at all - indeed, this view is one of the things causing the problem. It means kids aren't out playing on their own, which is where they should be in a functioning society. So yes, I would say it's because we hear more about things and more people get caught than before. That doesn't mean there are more perpetrators out there.

And I would say your anger should be directed against those who do commit crimes against children, and we should ensure they are caught and punished appropriately.

Just like the recent incidence in the Hasidic community in NY. There is a saying that goes, " I'd rather be called 9 times a coward than once, god bless her soul."
Yet if a child is overprotected, they don't develop properly as an adult. This is in my view becoming more visible these days.

Recently while at the beach and seeing young girls in mono-kinis, my 21 year old daughter commented that she wouldn't allow her own daughter to go out like that, because one never knows if there is a pedophile, this came out from a very liberal open minded young lady.
That worries me. A lot. Though I'd equally argue the other way that dressing children up as mini-adults isn't a good thing either.

The best way is in my view to let children be children and stop panicking as society in general is doing. There *isn't* a paedophile on every street corner. And even if there was, there was before as well. It just used to be the case that "Old Mr X is a bit odd, make sure you stay away from him", and it's now "It's not safe, so my kids don't go out". That causes a lot of harm to their long-term development, IMO.

Neil

Last edited by pacer142; Aug 3, 2011 at 6:00 am