FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Customer service (good and bad)
View Single Post
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:19 am
stirlingFR

Programs: N/A
Customer service (good and bad)

I thought I would share my recent experiences with FB, and then KLM customer service.

Flying Blue:

Last year, I booked a lot of KLM tickets in V class (in Europe through AMS). I was quoted mile earning at the time but since the first of June, V class tickets award 0 mile/segment. I would have expected them to be “converted” to R class tickets. They were not, so I decided to get on the phone:
-1st with Flying Blue (using the number at the back of my card). The answer was: “Please contact the airline, they will be able to do something”
-2nd with KLM (using the UK customer service number). After wasting 20min of my time
-3rd with Flying Blue (again using the number at the back of my card). The answer was, write a letter to AF customer service (the address in Beauvais) and they will give you miles. Sending three letters did not sound like a good idea, and I did not feel like I deserved compensation.

Then, during my connection to Stockholm, I remember that the Flying Blue agents at the KLM Crown Lounge have always been praised on this forum.
Within 5 minutes, the lady had solved the issue, re-credited my flights as R class. I asked what was “special” about her, that she could do something others could not. She shrugged and waved me good-bye.

Earlier this year, in the KLM Crown lounge in AMS, an AF flights had bee rebooked on a FlyBe flight. I was disappointed with this and the agent could book me on an AF flight, leaving the same day at a more convenient time within 10 minutes. I can't imagine how muc time it would have taken over the phone to get the positive outcome (if any at all).

In the future, should I always fly through Amsterdam to make sure my request(s) are dealt with?

KLM:

On another note, last Friday in Amsterdam, I made the mistake of forgetting my umbrella on board the plane. I only realised it 10-15 min after deboarding the plane once at the lounge. I am conscious it was my mistake, but a nice customer service gesture would have been to ring the arrival gate to enquire about the umbrella, even if the cleaning crew would have already taken it away and given it to Schiphol lost&found. The lady (different from the FB lady I must day) did not want to do anything. All I was given was a card with the number of the lost&found at Schiphol. It may be standard practice but it is not good customer service in my books.