FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air India and the Star Alliance (Part II)
Old Jul 29, 2011, 6:59 am
kiwiandrew

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Because LH is pushing for AI's entry. US, probably has no position on AI. CO would oppose it, so would TG, SQ, SAS, AC, Austrian and SWISS. Turkish Airline has been doing brisk business to India since joining Star Alliance. So I wouldn't be surprised if Turkish would oppose AI's entry. Air China might be another opponent. SN would probably prefer 9W over AI. That makes 10 airlines......This is not sheer speculation on my part. The reasoning is quite plausible. .
I would be very surprised to have Austrian, Swiss and SN vote against AI if their owner LH is in favour, I'm sorry, but I don't find your reasoning plausible where those carriers are concerned. In any case, you seem to be making the assumption airlines that airlines voting against AI have to be involved in some sort of conspiracy. Couldn't their reported opposition be simply because AI has repeatedly failed to live up to their side of the accession agreement? There is plenty of evidence for the latter and no real evidence that I am aware of for the former.

Your point that AI has tremendous clout with the government of India is, if anything, a point in favour of *A members voting for rather than against AI even if they have their doubts. Indeed I would argue that is exactly why *A has not previously shown AI the red flag. I am sure that any other candidate airline making such a poor showing of meeting the agreed standards would not have been given more than 3 years to shape up, they would have been told to get lost long ago.