FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter {US-CA}
View Single Post
Old Jul 28, 2011, 5:58 am
kymbakitty

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Wow...

Originally Posted by Elena
Just had two stays at Hilton Gaslamp, one night each.

First stay- upgraded to loft jacuzzi suite. Breakfast was very good.

Second stay- Not upgraded. Front desk agent lied about all the lofts being sold out due to a group that booked all of them. Offered to upgrade to king deluxe room (not much of an upgrade). After pressing he reluctantly offered me a standard room in the loft section. Once in my room I checked the Hilton site and found plenty of loft jacuzzi suites available and booked one. Went back to the lobby with my new confirmation number and offered to pay the difference. Spoke to a different agent who switched the room for me free of charge.

My main complaint is not the agents refusal to upgrade me to the jacuzzi loft which I understand might not be part of the diamond benefits; perhaps he could have offered me the room for an additional charge. I am however upset that he blatantly lied about all of the lofts being sold out. There was plenty of availability the night before as well as on the day of my arrival and since I did get my room switched it's obvious he was full of bologna.

In regards to the jacuzzi loft it's a nice room, nice tub, amenity toothpaste, and milano cookies at turndown.
I had to reread your post to make sure I understood that you went through this whole ordeal for just ONE night in a hotel! You could have really been taken on a ride if they made you pay for both reservations! Not a risk I would be willing to take for one lousy night. All of the times where you might want to pull a stunt like that, this just wouldn't fall under that category, for me anyway.

This reminds me of the Southwest Airlines show that was on tv for a little bit. A passenger trying to get on a flight walks up to SWA agent and said, "Do you know who I am?" The SWA agent gets on the intercom and asks, "Does anyone know who this person is?"

I think if someone could have videotaped your entire act from beginning to when you finally "won" your right (?) to a loft room and shows this to you in 5 years, you are going to feel rather foolish.

Your antics give Gold/Diamonds a bad reputation that we all act like this and stomp our feet when we aren't given a suite or loft. You were probably used as a training tool to teach staff how they must deal with those guests that demand upgrades because of their loyalty. I'd rather be used to show the other side of a Diamond member and reading threads like this is a constant reminder to me on how I should treat people. So I suppose you were a learning tool for me too--or at least a reminder of how not to behave in public.

Last edited by kymbakitty; Jul 28, 2011 at 6:16 am