FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:33 am
FlyingHoustonian

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by ediemac1
Just curious, considering the amount of hassle a NEXUS card seems to get.

For those who don't know, as of July 12, Global Entry includes a RFID card. If you already have GE membership, you can request one. I've been approved for one and it should arrive within the week. (There is a photo of one in another thread on GE, if anyone wants to know what it looks like.)

While the TSA website lists DHS Trusted Traveler cards as acceptable forms of ID, the parenthetical examples have not been updated to include the GE card. I actually wasted my time and submitted a query to the TSA about this. First response was a non-answer about TSA having no control over CBP. Resubmitted, pointed out the non-answer, and got nothing in response!

So, given that this card is new and isn't specifically listed on the TSA site, I'm thinking it might get questioned for a while.

I plan on using mine as soon as I get it and will report back on my experiences.
Monday a week past I stopped and asked some agents at CBP exit at IAH about the new GE card and they knew nothing about it (and IAH is the busiest GE airport per press release data).
It will take some time I think. But good question for future data points.