FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travelling between USA/India on MR [Consolidated]
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:46 pm
aap

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by tintin_007
Aap, I am going to Mumbai next week from Newark in CO. Right now I've booked economy ticket, but I'm planning to use miles (35k miles + $550 fee) to upgrade to Biz/First class. If you can give more info about the CO's biz class along w/ if it's worth, that'll be great. Thanks!
The food and service we received was truly first class on our CO Bus-First flight from EWR-DEL, but the seating is more like Business Class, although still very enjoyable. Highly recommend ordering a special meal instead of the standard meal.

Now everyone values points differently, and international use is the most valuable. I would say 35k points is worth about $400. Add in the $500 cash upgrade portion, and your total cost is $950. Some would argue that's a bargain to upgrade to business class, and others would say that's almost the cost of another economy class ticket to India. I traveled from the West Coast, so my upgrade included a domestic first class segment as well. I personally would have used points for this ticket (instead of buying as you did) since the difference between economy and business class award was only 40k points.