FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) and Chargebacks
Old Jul 26, 2011, 4:24 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catandmouse
For heaven's sake if I am quoted a rate in USD, then bill me in USD. It shouldn't be that difficult!
Again, there's a historical for this: Until a few years ago, it would have cost you more to be billed in USD than in your home currency, because credit cards tended to charge for foreign currency, not foreign transactions.

That's when Avis instututed this and lots of people loved it.

The problem is that now many cards (but I don't know if all cards) charge for foreign transactions, not foreign currency (or else a few don't charge for either). So it's no longer any help to be billed in your home currency.

But Avis is known for their IT problems. So you have to contact them, and they have a special office where they do this. It took a few weeks when I requested it, and I got a call from special office to confirm that it was what I wanted.

But this is far from the only thing their IT system makes unfriendly. If you choose to decline insurance coverage, it's enormously difficult to include insurance coverage on particular booking. If you want to use one credit card for business and one for personal rentals, it's so difficult that people who want to do that have left Avis (or else use Avis only for personal and some other rental company for business, or vice versa)!

So all sorts of things that "shouldn't be that difficult" are indeed difficult at Avis.

Btw, I just watched an Undercover Boss episode about Norwegian Cruise Lines. The guy who's CEO there now bragged about his previous task being that he intergrated Avis and Budget into the Avis Budget Group. (Btw, they're so integrated that at Kansas City Airport the Avis WhereTo GPS directs you to the Budget entrance instead of the Avis entrance! And there are no signs at the Budget entrance pointing you to the Avis entrance, or vice versa. That's integrated??? )