FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Motion Failed to Pass: Restore Post Count Credit for Omni
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:48 am
It'sHip2B^2

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I'll state my support of this again since this is the official thread

• Omni posts used to count, until some people decided to create threads and made thousands of posts in "counting" threads. There's more than 1 evangelist made by just counting. While I'm all for fun and games, these type threads should be moved to an Omni Social area where posts don't count that contain only these threads.

• Contributions to Omni-lite (not P/R) are just as valuable as any other post on FT. There are very few places on the internet where you can get good/correct information in a short period of time. Even those people who claim Omni shouldn't exist at all on FT eventually show up there when they need a fast/good answer.

• Images were allowed in Omni because the TB wanted to make it more like the rest of FT, which allows them. Posts also count in the rest of FT, so why is this even an issue - it's either like the rest of FT or it's not.

• Posts count in Lounge threads and contain far far less good information than Omni. Again, I can think of at least one evangelist that got the title by posting in lounge threads and almost nowhere else on FT, except maybe a contest thread in Community. Why is my post in Omni, which I spent a good deal of time researching and writing, helping another member valued less by the community than someone simply posting a "good morning" in a lounge thread? IMHO, all lounge threads should be moved to the social area mentioned above.

• If we don't want to reward Omni P/R-only posters with titles/post count, do not allow them to count in Omni P/R and remove the posts from their count. The vast majority of those people do not post anywhere else on FT and only go into to FT to troll. Many of them are the reason the Omnis have such a bad reputation.

• It has been said that Omni is one of the most popular forums on FT. If that is the case, why are the people posting there treated like second class citizens?

Thank you for brining this motion forward ^^
I think that Mary has some very good points. I've learned as much good stuff on Omni as I have on any other forum. But I also understand why people wouldn't want the counting threads and the like to count.

I think that I support OMNI counting because it eliminates a disparity within the community. I've not been here very long but I think that many of the high post count people who've been here a long time have post counts that include Onmi posts from the time before Omni counting was stopped. That creates a potentially false image of the value of "older" contributor vs a newer one. But then this is also an argument to avoid linking post count to contributor value (which is what makes MilePoint's "like" system a good idea in theory).

I wish there were a way to separately state the counts. It would be nice to have a "fluff" count and a "real" count.

Thanks for bringing this forward. I think that it's a great follow-up to Omni masking.