FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I move to Star from one world ?
View Single Post
Old Oct 5, 2001, 3:13 pm
headinclouds

Should I move to Star from one world ?

Due to limited flights between ORD and DCA, I am considering switching to the * A for future travel. I usually travel to Europe 3 to 5 times per year and it was easy using AA via ORD and JFK, especially the 6 PM flights from Paris and London to the USA. A quick look at destinations other than hubs in Europe indicate that FRA is a good connecting city. Since UA has many non-stops to Europe from IAD, as well as many flights to FRA is it time to switch ? I fly discounted economy class and have the middle tier status on AA. AA is not bad in economy with the more room thru coach product. How does UA and LH compare ? If one flies barely 50K miles, would the UA or LH be the better program ? I glanced at the * A comparison guide yet I remain uncertain which is best. If the coach product is OK, then upgrades are less important than accumulating miles. I prefer a straight biz/1st award over upgrades. I still don’t understand all the ‘domestic’ upgrade scheme. On AA it is 4 500 mile upgrade credits for every 10K base miles on ALL OW flights except BA transatlantic. The *A does not seem to have this feature. But it is a moot point because one can exchange the upgrade credits for 2,500 FF miles per credit on AA, making it triple FF miles for every 10K miles flown. I really do like AA, but if the schedules make it a pain to fly, why bother. Thanks for any and all advice.