FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Denali National Park travel questions
View Single Post
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:05 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by jmsfla2002
I am traveling to Anchorage for work and I really want to go to Denali National Park. The trip is last minute and I can't take much time off from work but Princess Cruise has availability on their 2 day/1 night bus one-way/rail return package. I figure I can do an afternoon tour of the park the day I arrive (several tour companies advertise that their afternoon tours depart after buses arrive) and possibly a short hike near the visitor's center before the train departs the next day. Obviously this isn't the ideal trip but is it worth the $500?
When are you going? Which dates? What are the times of the Princess arrival in Denali NP and departure from Denali NP?

Generally I strongly discourage a one-night trip to Denali. You really can't get far into the park. But if you do it, driving up would be MUCH better. More flexible and you would have more time. You really should take a SHUTTLE bus (i.e. not a "tour" bus) in the park. Take the shuttle to Eielson (mile 66) and that is 8 hours round trip without any time for hiking. Very doubtful you could arrive by bus, get to Eielson AND do much hiking that first day.

The tour bus goes to Toklat (mile 53 or 61) but the area between mile 61 and 66 is prime bear habitat and also a very good area to hike.

What time would the bus depart Denali the second day? If you drove, you could get an early shuttle bus on day 2 into the park (say 6am), figure the 8 hours round trip and 2 hours to hike, so you are back at the entrance by 4pm. Drive back to Anchorage that evening, arriving about 9pm. A two-day car rental on a weekend is +-$225. Figure $80 in gas so about $300. Then you can stay away from Glitter Gulch, i.e. cheaper lodging in Carlo Creek or Healy. So the entire trip will be the same price or less than Princess and give you much more flexibility.

With a car, you can also drive the first 15 miles of the park road the first evening (good chance to see wildlife). And you can stop on your way up or back at the various sights along the way (up is best since you could use Day 1 for the stopping and entrance-area activities like visitor center exhibits and film, sleddog demo, a hike near the entrance, etc). There are two pullouts that are nice if the Mountain is out, the Veterans Memorial at mile 147 is worth a stop, and Talkeetna is worth a short stop for lunch or just to visit.