FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Harvard Business Review: Simple Ways the TSA Could Make Customers Happier
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:16 pm
SATTSO

Originally Posted by jkhuggins

The suggestion was about giving candy to the kids after they've completed screening. At that point, there's very little (if anything) that the TSA gains by giving the candy to the child --- other than generating good will, which is the point of most of the other suggestions on the list.

It's not that hard to see how this could work. (As long as the lollipops were smaller than 7" in length, of course. )
I have found the best time to give children candy at the checkpoint is BEFORE screening starts. Sure it makes the kids happy, but the parents LOVE it. A kid with a starburst (I love those) or whatever becomes a kid on a mission.

And its not about compliance with screening. Often I see a single parent traveling with 2 or 3 children, and they are all running around, screaming, throwing their toys - doing what children naturally do. And the parent is left with all the luggage, the computers (surprised how many parents have lap tops for their children), and carriages and such. It can be hectic. Providing candy at that point simply calms the kids down, oddly enough.