FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Egypt - Travel AFTER the Egyptian Revolution of Jan 25, 2011
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:28 pm
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
PART III

Our visit to the Khan el Khaili was a reminder of the worlds’ most pushy salesmen around. There were no customers to be found so the store keepers were extra pushy, desperate to most extents for a dollar Outside of the Khan, the city retained still much of it’s charm, and business like atmosphere in the non touristy streets. I was able to buy some Egyptian Revolution stickers for 0.40 cents that most Egyptians proudly display on their cars in town.

We also took the time for a felucca ride. Since there was no one around, we managed a private sail boat similar to the one in the picture here. The Nile at dusk was a lovely way to relax from the chaos of Cairo.

We made our return flight to IST the next day. We took a public taxi from the Fairmont and had our luggage strapped to the roof rack as we crawled back towards CAI.

My closing thoughts are that the city HAS changed after the Egyptian Revolution. It has more of an edge and has lost some of its innocence. Security and volatility takes more of a front stage when you’re out and about. I was checking over my shoulder much more than I expected. Is there a protest around the next corner? Would we be scampering for our lives? ? ?

Having said that, in hindsight, it was a fabulous experience and Ms World Traveler love almost every minute of it. Egypt is one of the better bargains going right now. We had 5 star luxury for a song. The experience of seeing the Pyramids of Giza without a soul will probably a once in a lifetime experience. And although there were signs of the revolution, there wasn’t a feeling like that was at a flash point.

I will return. If you’ve had Egypt on your list, I encourage you all to make the trip when you feel comfortable.

Last edited by worldtraveller73; Nov 2, 2014 at 10:23 am