FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air India announces Australia non-stop
View Single Post
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:58 am
flyinsikh

Programs: QF,UA,VA
Originally Posted by SQ421
I beg to differ. The hype about the A380 was essentially because it was a whole new paradigm in civ-aviation - A truly "double decker" aircraft. While B787 is "different" due to its composite structure and what have you, it isn't that much of a standout to the average punter as the A380 is.

B787 is essentially a B767 replacement. Sure FTers and a lot moer ANetters will be eager to be on that first commercial flight (then again, it will only be the first commercial flight into Australia - not the first commercial flight in the world - as was the case with A380); but I don't see it as being that much of a water shed event. Also bear in mind, SQ launched their new business and Suites classes on the inaugural A380; generating more hype.
Fair Enough, but still it's a new ERA in aviation due to it being composite material structure, and a new aircraft type to see in Australia, before QF get's theirs. But this is based on if AI do get their acts together and start the route at all, the article in the Sydney Morning Herald mentioned they may not even introduce B787 on DEL-MEL route, rather use the B77W's that will be freed up on Intra Asia routes by the use of B787s, I am thinking DEL-HKG-NRT. Oh well lets wait till October and see if AI can pull it off..