FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air India announces Australia non-stop
View Single Post
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:42 am
flyjet787

Originally Posted by SQ421
I beg to differ. The hype about the A380 was essentially because it was a whole new paradigm in civ-aviation - A truly "double decker" aircraft. While B787 is "different" due to its composite structure and what have you, it isn't that much of a standout to the average punter as the A380 is.

B787 is essentially a B767 replacement. Sure FTers and a lot moer ANetters will be eager to be on that first commercial flight (then again, it will only be the first commercial flight into Australia - not the first commercial flight in the world - as was the case with A380); but I don't see it as being that much of a water shed event. Also bear in mind, SQ launched their new business and Suites classes on the inaugural A380; generating more hype.
The 787 sure is a 767 replacement but the 787 interiors are far more advanced and comfortable than any commercial aircraft . If any airline can advertise its latest interiors like the huge windows, low cabin noise and lower cabin altitude etc. i'm sure they can generate a lot of hype.