FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SYD to LHR on a Plane
View Single Post
Old Feb 19, 2004, 2:48 am
GoldFlyer

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
Prologue to Arrival (apologies to ABBA)

The final episode is almost ready and prior to it, a few words.

What a journey, it gives a real sense to the pioneering days of the constellation aircraft that took weeks to fly from the antipodes to the old dart all those years ago. Here we all are about to land at LHR, prior to which a few thankyou’s, as any nominee would wish to make on the penultimate edition to an epic that commenced way back on January 15. Around 20,000 words, more than 30 pages and I can only guess but perhaps at least 12 bottles of wine, I will admit to no more, ½ a bottle of Vodka and a bottle of Moet on one very special night, we are about to place our seats in the upright position and stow away our tray tables. .

In my acceptance speech, the Oscars are but a breath away, I first of all want to thank my very first friend who took my bait way back when this epic was but a meagre embryo and the rambling effects of too much time in the sun and a few too many beverages at the local, Dam Taat, like a coach to an Olympic athlete, you have driven me, cajoled and inspired me to strive bigger, larger and consume more. Mr. Kee We, the assistant coach and a cyber friend. I would like to thank for your many comments and hope we can perhaps meet up at the Grand Kayak for a Champagne and well, no don’t try the food, you first of course.

Thadocta, well, like a fire cracker on New Years Eve, I have you to thank for the delightful email from the Grand Head Master, Randy Petersen and a special mention on “TalkMail” which exposed my rantings to the entire planet and attracted no end of attention. Sorry about that tennis ball and I reckon you and Mother will be perfect in the volatile atmosphere of a heavenly set on that big court in the sky, way beyond the fussing of us mortals here on earth scrambling for that elusive upgrade into a business class. Why do they bother when it is so much better in the pointy end?

Pucci Galore and Merri, such insular creatures that they never venture beyond the comforts of East Enders and a cosy log fire that is the BA forum. A shame really, as I was anticipating a heady exchange of wit and prose to add fuel to this report but I feel we managed without them without any loss or credibility. Those English are so, well, staid and predictable they will never know what the rest of the world thinks and knows about them. As with most things British, we allow them to live on in a fantasy of toy town, low rise, bad weather and underground while the rest of the planet enjoys the delights of the great outdoors and beaches of sand rather than rock. We acknowledge them nonetheless for their contribution to what is the marvellous language that is, “English”.

To my other contributors, QF WP my apologies to Mrs. QF WP for keeping her awake at night and you away from your betrothed at such an early stage of your marriage – plenty of time to catch up. To my sometime characters, responders and those spooky types that “lurk” in the shadows but never materialise thanks so much. It has been a challenge at times and, at other times a snip. You have each and all given inspiration to turn this epic 20,000 word trip report into a great deal of fun for me and I hope and think you to.