FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) and Chargebacks
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:12 pm
CraiNo

Originally Posted by freqbiztraveler
Based on your post, it seems that you went to the counter for your car hire. I travel quite often on business and see Dynamic currency conversion quite a bit. I also rent from Avis Budget and can tell you that when you go to the counter to rent and you have a credit card in a different currency they do ask. Perhaps you missed it. I know I often miss half of what they are saying simply because I am in a rush and not paying complete attention. I also looked at some of my rental agreements from past rentals and it is included in the details and we are asked to initial various parts of the agreement and to sign it. Since I do travel quite often I like the ability to pay in my own currency. Sure, the companies charge a fee but I am not aware of any offering by any company including my own bank or any credit card company: Visa, Mastercard, American Express or any currency exchange service: bureau de change, Travelex that offers this service for free. World currencies fluctuate on a daily basis much like the stock market. Companies need to charge a fee to cover their expense and any fluctuation in the market. I am fine with this because if they do not do it, the credit card company or my own bank will and they will charge me a fee. I prefer to know what that cost is up front and make the choice instead of finding out when my credit card decides to tell me what it is after I return. I can tell you that you should be mindful of the exchange rate before you agree or disagree. Like all businesses, there are good guys and bad guys. Most big companies like Avis provide good service because they are looking for you to continue to rent from them. This is more of a customer convienence service. If you do not want it, then simply say no. Since you say you were not asked or maybe you did not hear them (you did agree based on the agreement you sign at the counter) you can simply go into the office when you return the car and tell them you would like to be charged in US dollars instead of Saudi Riyal. They will change if for you as they have form me when I requested. If for any reason the person cannot, simply ask for a manager and they can do it no problem.
thanks

i did the reservation in advance through orbitz.com in us dollar, the man in counter was very busy and hurry saying there is lot of jobs today, he didn't tell me at all about this but i signed to agree to the process as i checked the contracts after that, i know it was my mistake but i think he should tell me,

actually Saudi Riyals is linked to US dollar and the exchange rate are fixed for years, and my credit card bank is giving excellent exchange rate,i rented a car from tomorrow for ten days and i avoided Avis and i choose Advantage rent a car,no more Avis it's not only a matter of money is how they should deals with us.