FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Risked based screening
View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:51 pm
jkhuggins

Originally Posted by SATTSO
As reported by CBS:

"The expedited passengers will still go through metal detectors, but may escape more rigorous screening -- for example, those fliers may be able to keep their shoes on and their laptops in their carry-ons"
Sounds like a fairly trivial set of "improvements" in exchange for passing what amounts to a security clearance. Plus, this is only an "example" and "may be" what participants might expect. I'll reserve judgment until real details are released.

Originally Posted by SATTSO
Also attributed in this article to Pistole:

"This new approach will start small, only benefiting a few thousand passengers each day. But if it works, Pistole wants to expand the concept, calling it a potential game-changer for travelers. "
Of course, saying "if it works" leaves way too much uncertainty on the table. Recall that Pistole is already on record as saying that private screening is inherently inferior to TSA screening, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary. It's not clear what his criteria are for deciding that "it works".

I'm not saying this might not be a good idea in the long run. But from where I'm sitting, there's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too little information about this program in evidence for me to make any judgment.