FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I now appreciate security line contractors at LGA/JFK vs EWR (baggage size)
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:06 pm
Analise
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sbm12
FWIW, only the airlines can really prevent you from boarding with an oversized bag. If it was one of the maroon coat folks at EWR I just walk past them when they object to my bags. They have no real enforcement power anyways.

A couple weeks ago I was flying to Canada with my wife. I brought our bags to the airport as I was going early and had time. So I had my backpack and two roller bags with me. Needless to say, the maroon coat was not impressed. I simply stated that one was my wife's and that she'd be meeting me at the airport later and walked by. The agent objected but they aren't going to leave their post and there's nothing they can do anyways.
I think they wore maroon coats but I was not paying that much attention to them. But they weren't airline employees, that I can confirm. These are the guys who stand at the entrance of the corridor leading to security and then the circular area where the gates are. I could have walked past them?? Who knew! That never occurred to me.