FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First UA flight ORD-NRT-SIN-NRT-ORD in C (long)
Old Nov 29, 2003, 1:44 am
indo79

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
NRT-ORD November 27th 2003
UA 882 5.55pm-2.20pm Seat 25C Boeing 747-400
Actual wheel off: 6.05pm
Actual wheel down: 1.15pm

Boarding began at 5.10pm and it was a very smooth process. The C cabin on the main deck was hardly occupied with only 7 passengers in rows 22-26. There was one passenger my cabin that was acting as if he was not satisfied to be in C and was demanding a lot of things from the FAs. In any case, the FAs were also nice in this flight, presumably because it was a very light load for them. Channel 9 was available on this flight and doors were closed at 5.45pm. During the flight, the FAs only rolled out the dessert carts and nothing else, everything else was carried straight from the galley.

Flight time was announced at 10 hours 10 mins.

Following takeoff, again we were presented with cold nuts and a drink, continued by lunch. Menu is as follows:

To Begin

Herb marinated shrimp and peppered beef appetizer
Kenya bean and mushroom salad with lobster vinaigrette

Garden Salad
Balsamic Dijon vinaigrette dressing

Main Course

Filet mignon with Bordelaise sauce and mushrooms
Potatoes au gratin and broccoli florets

Country-style barbecued breast of chicken
French fries and green beans

Japanese Obento selection
An appetizer of sillago roll, salmon temari sushi, grilled eggplant with walnut paste, stir-fried lotus root and soba sushi
A main course of broiled salmon, ,shrimp, scallops and vegetables and shiitake mushrooms, conger eel tataki and steamed rice
Served with green tea.

Dessert

International cheese selection
Shadows of Bleu and Red Cheddar cheese

French Apple tart

Midflight snack
Please help yourself to assorted treats between the two main meals.
Sandwiches or noodles are available upon request.

Prior to arrival

Shrimp, calamari and angel hair pasta with marinara saucec
Parmesan cheese and fresh fruit appetizer

Or

Fresh seasonal fruit plate with creamy yogurt.

Wine List (please refer to my first segment as the list is exactly the same)

The FAs took menu orders by status and I was very surprised that I got first choice among the 7 passengers in my cabin. Naturally I chose the Obento and was very pleased with the catering for this particular option. Very nice and filling. I have to apologize to my readers but I was so tired at this point that again I fell asleep for 7 straight hours. Hey, with the C+ seats, it is hard for me not to sleep. Waking up with about 1 hour 30 mins left, I chose to have the fresh fruit plate as I was still pretty full from the Obento meal. Filled out my immigration and customs form and was all set to land back in Chicago.

When we landed and taxied to the gate, it took someone 20 mins to move the jetway to door 1L. Easily clearing through immigration and customs, I was happy to be back in Chicago.

I am also very pleased with the C product that United offers, although the video screen could be bigger and the level of service was similar to the EVA Air Evergreen Deluxe class that I used to take in the late 1990s. But the seat and lounge in NRT more than makes up for it. I will be taking 2 more domestic flights this year to make PremEx and I am already looking to purchase another V fare back to Singapore in early Feb for another 7 days.

Any questions, do not hesitate to ask and hope you enjoyed my trip report.