FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thanks Luxury Hotel Forum! Amandari, Amankila, and Al Maha Trip Report
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:27 am
blueline7

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by BENLEE
Nice trip report, thanks for sharing. ^

But just one observation. I live in Indonesia, and those food pics like satay and Nasi Goreng you posted are actually very common food found everywhere in Indonesia and available for a few bucks from canteens in shopping malls to streetside stalls. Not quite sure why you will call them the "Best Food you ever have" and "inspired and experienced cooking".

Oh well, maybe it just extra tasty when they are served at Aman resorts.
Many thanks for the kind words. You raise an interesting question about why I said that it was "the best food that I ever had". When I was writing that line I did question it myself and perhaps I should have said "tied" or "amongst" the best food I ever had". But to answer your question, undoubtedly some of the enjoyment came from the beautiful environment and the terrific service, but beyond that, I would suggest that even simple and common foods, can be done extraordinarily well. For example, while in Ubud I had a nasi goreng (or bami goreng - I always mix them up!) at a decent restaurant, and there is a picture of this dish in my report. It was very good, and I enjoyed it, but it was nothing compared to the presentation, ingredients, and flavour of the versions which I enjoyed at Amandari and Amankila, respectively (and there is a picture of at least one of these latter dishes in the report as well). I just loved the way that the chefs prepared these dishes and savoured every mouthful. Given, I also love a boiled Maine Lobster or Montreal Smoked Meat from Schwartz's, and these latter two dishes are also amongst the best food I ever had, but the Aman dishes, even though the gorengs were common dishes, were superbly executed, well balanced, beautifully presented, and delicious as can be, and since I had their Indonesian dishes (some of which I did no picture) several times, I saw that they were consistently excellent, and it was not a fluke. Here are some shots of a couple additional dishes which I enjoyed at Amankila:

This was an appetizer chicken salad with coriander and garlic. Was beautiful and delicious! Was from a daily special menu at Amankila. They made it special for me without onions.

Here is a mixed Indonesian grill dish:

Here is a club sandwich with chicken, egg, cheese, tomato, and avocado:

Last edited by blueline7; Jul 11, 2011 at 11:33 am