FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SFO: TSA now Pre-checking I/D's & BP's while in line but before reaching the TDC?
Old Jul 10, 2011, 8:40 pm
InkUnderNails

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exbayern
Well, the Germans got a pass, after quite some discussion.

Even if one knows enough basic English to respond to 'Name?', asking those who cannot speak English well to spell their name is expecting a lot. And as you indicate, there are others as well who may have challenges. My TDC was a mumbler with an accent, so it was a challenge for ESL flyers but would most likely be challenge for hard of hearing as well to understand what he was asking.

I also use the NATO phonetic alphabet when spelling my name to English speakers over the telephone, etc as it us usually misspelled by English speakers. That leads to confusion if the person asking for the spelling dosen't understand what I am doing when I 'spell' it that way.
I have been taking ASL. One of the things my tutor insists that I do proficiently is "sign" my name. I am getting pretty good at this including basic communication. It is my plan to get good enough to "sign" my way all the way through the screening process. On the way to the airport today, I practiced "I opt out." I forgot to use it when the time came.

I am still working on "It is your SOP that I see my belongings."