FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Varna - Golden Sands {BGR} (no longer Honors)
Old Jul 9, 2011, 3:20 pm
Zurich Flyer
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Originally Posted by hann
The new Doubletree in Varna has a very low rate of 27 Euro inkl. bfst at the end of the month (e.g. 07/28 - 08/05). I read many reviews on different sites but don't get an impression what to expect at this hotel.

There are many all-inclusive-guests who give bad ratings due to long waiting times at the pool bar or for limited choices at the dinner buffet, which is not important for me.

If somebody already stayed at the Doubletree I'm very much interested in comments about the room quality, the treatment of Golds and Diamonds and the distance to and the quality if the beach.

I was there in June. Don't know about gold because I am diamond.

Good value for cheap money if you can get a low rate, e.g. 27 € !!! Then go for it!

Keep your expectations very low and you won't get disappointed. Of course, there is no lounge for HHonors members. Well, there is actually a lounge on the first floor but I had no time to figure out for whom it is.

One I got brilliant service, the other day it was terrible. Hence, you can get anything.

Overall, I would rate it as a nice package tourist hotel where the staff members try their best to accommodate diamond members.

Food:
  • Didn't like the cheapo typ breakfast
  • Don't know about the cost for all-inclusive, they didn't know it at the front desk.... and I didn't bother anymore
  • Room service is the way to go! Low prices (really!) and relatively good quality
  • We also went to the restaurants between the DoubleTree and the beach. They convinced us most. The ones at the beach had higher prices and lower quality

Water/beach:
  • Don't know the beach. Is kind of teenager beach live, like in Lloret de Mar and Mallorca. Not my thing but certainly very good for younger people
  • Didn't use the outdoor pools because was too cold for me and not heated
  • Didn't use the indoor pool because water was not 100 % clean/clear and too many children

There was still construction work when I was there in June. The hotel was until last year run under another brand.

PS: There is a HILTON being constructed, right below the DoubleTree! Expected opening is next year!

PS2: There are some useful comments on Holidaycheck

PS3: One big word of warning: The hotels systems are not connected to HHonors! They work with Horizon and thus, they must manually transmit the date of the guests to HHonors. I did not get any stays credited and the hotel did not react to my several emails. I could finally fax my invoices to HHonors (but I had to explain why the invoices did not come from the DoubleTree but from the Hotel Helios!)