FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Checking a laptop in baggage - still a big no no?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:47 pm
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by ozstamps
May be a bit naff but I had a pad of VistaPrint stickers done that say 'Password Protected - $300 reward if found - no questions asked, if returned intact if lost" and my email address.

A medium level used lap top is worth nothing like $300 to anyone else except ME!

Never had to pay out, but I can bet if stolen I'll get an email "found this in a dumpster - is the reward for real?".
Another good option is affix stuffbak.com stickers to all of your portable devices. This permits you to update rewards as needed as well as protects the privacy of your contact info. Also different size stickers with some that probably smaller than vistaprint (whatever those are).

Studies have shown most people are honest and will return found items if they have an easy way to do it - i.e. calling a number or emailing. Unfortunately most devices lack this info - and with password protection you can be SOL>

Having recently left a laptop at a TSA checkpoint (since safely recovered ) you might also consider the following advice from TSA: Place a label with your name and cell phone # inside your battery case. This is the first place TSA will check and they can then page you if you are still inside the terminal (as will often be the case). This is actually easier said than done as my Lenovo doesn't have a good surface and I don't think I can even open my Apple case.

Originally Posted by ScottC
1) Be careful of temperature differences -- removing the machine from a cold-ish hold and turning it in the 100F heat of a safari may cause condensation, so let the machine get used to the temperature change.
This is true also if you are leaving devices in the back of hot cars. Also keep in mind the varied temps in the baggage hold, though that would probably be more likely to affect the wines than your electronics.

Also good to remove the battery to prevent fires a la the Sony laptop incidents. Sometime "off" is not really "off" and my blackberry has a habit of turning itself on in the overhead compartment.