FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC Johannesburg Sandton Towers Master Thread (no longer an IC)
Old Jul 7, 2011, 9:49 am
Cheetah_SA

Programs: BA BD SA
So here I am again 18 months later – how time flies! This is again an award booking but this time at the full 40k points rate and not a Points Break. The other difference is that last time I was Gold Amb and now I’m Plat Amb.

Everyone is super friendly as usual. I waltz up to the front desk at 5pm and am told I will be checking in at the Club lounge on the 27th floor. Sounds promising! I am shown to the lift by a young man named Gift (very appropriate) who puts his card in the slot presses the button and I’m off to the Club lounge. Very friendly, efficient and charming check-in. Asked if I want a drink or if I'll wait for cocktails at 6 and I opt for the latter.

My room is on the top, 28th, floor and is again a corner room as I described previously. Everything looks iexactly how I remember it – except of course I have a somewhat better view of the fast dwindling day and the brown haze that hangs over Joeys in the winter. Bath amenities have now changed to a brand called Zenology – never heard of them.

And here are the gifts/freebies:
- fruit: a rather green pear, a big apple and a huge naartjie (mandarin orange)
- A bottle of Tokara Zondernaam cab sauv 2008 (pretty decent mid range stuff)
- Two small bottles of water, one still, one sparkling
- A 210g box of Sally Williams macadamia and almond nougat
Who said they were mean with amenities?! This is an award stay after all. What do they give RA’s? Apart from the mini bar – which I’ve now sussed for their benefit: 7 assorted spirit miniatures, 4 Castle beers, ½ bottle of white wine, various mixers, juice , a Toblerone, jelly beans and Pringles.

Internet is also free again. In fact my access voucher says it is valid for 7 days.

So... once again I am a very happy chappy. Hope to see what the lounge offers later and tomorrow if I get a chance, and I might try the restaurant.