FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AA AAdvantage vs UA / United MileagePlus - status, perks, pros, cons
Old Jul 5, 2011, 12:14 pm
RealFan

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
If you are in the middle of your flying career...

I just passed 2MM on AA last week which was a goal of mine for the past few years. I am an EXP/CK and love the way I am treated and the service I receive on AA/OW. However, I have major concerns about AA going forward and since I am in my late 30s with about two decades worth of flying yet to go, I wonder if I shouldn't switch all of my business to UA/*A. I know it might take me a year to regain my full status assuming that there are no matching programs. Here is how I see it:

1) AA is shrinking its network while UA is increasing
2) UA is on firmer financial footing even though AA took the high road and didn't declare BK. This puts AA at a disadvantage.
3) With the merger, UA/CA seems to have a wonderful global network and I fly globally.
4) I have secured lifetime platinum on AA regardless so if it survives and prospers, I could always return.

I am also a Premier Exec on UA which has typically been the result of last second changes to my itinerary where I end up flying UA. I don't have any experience of being a 1K/GS on UA so I don't really know what I'd be getting into. I am aware of many 1K/GS folks looking to defect to AA and I have also read the recent stories of AA looking to make a massive purchase to upgrade its domestic fleet which would be very helpful in my opinion.

Any other lifetime Platinums out there struggling with the same decisions? I want to pick a horse and stay with it and crossing the 2MM marker has me reevaluating both airlines. I am based in Chicago by the way and welcome any and all advice. Thanks.