FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Putting all shades down so cabin is dark
View Single Post
Old Jul 4, 2011, 5:55 am
CyBeR

Originally Posted by LondonElite
- On a UA flight from BKK to NRT about 10 years ago my wife and I were in the upper deck of a 747, first row, left side. Not 10 minutes after take-off, the woman behind me stuck her arm through the gap between the seat and the side of the plane and closed two of my shades! I (rather loudly) told her to keep her hands to herself and opened the shades again. She went red.
This is just unacceptable. How can these people even BEGIN to think they can interfere in other people's business. It's not just the act of putting someone else's shade down (in itself, that's a small act), it's the feeling of entitlement they obviously have that tells them they are better or more important than you are and they can just do whatever they need to have their way.

It makes me really, really angry actually. And I don't even get angry easily.

Anyway, as for me; I tend to have them down when I'm not actively looking out the window and others are trying to sleep. But I do enjoy looking out the window so I will put it up every now and then to do just that. I figure: I can be courteous to those wanting to sleep while I'm not looking out the window, thus those wanting to sleep can be courteous to me when I do want to look out the window. After all: that is what it's there for.

Plus: if you need absolute darkness to sleep and you want to sleep; maybe you shouldn't be putting that in the hands of two hundred strangers and simply bring a mask.