FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - U.S. to Asia (mostly CX First, in installments)
Old Jun 24, 2002, 3:04 pm
RKDuke

Programs: AA Plat 5M
6/22 11:30 PM CX #829 YYZ-HKG F A340 (Hong Kong leg)
Nothing additional to say about this leg other than to note CX’s continued great service. I slept about 6 hours on this flight, watch a couple movies and had breakfast. I am a little disappointed in myself to note that on my second flight in CX F, I have already become a little jaded and am thinking that this level of service and accommodations is “normal”. The thought occurs to me that the space taken up by my first class seat is probably the equivalent of at least eight economy seats (4 “window lengths” times 2 across). This quickly revives my appreciation of this experience! Breakfast (served at my selected time) revived my appreciation too. Getting REAL toast and freshly made eggs is simply a treat that I have never had on an airplane. Yes, having this at my kitchen table would be no big deal but for some reason, it tasted 10 times better getting it 30K feet above the Pacific!

BREAKFAST

JUICES
Fresh Orange Juice, V-8 Vegetable Juice or Strawberry Smoothie Drink
Fresh Seasonal Fruits
Rasin Bran, Corn Flakes, or Rice Crispies
Low Fat Fruit Yoghurt

BREAKFAST DISHES
Freshly Made Eggs: Fried, Scrambled, or Boiled
Broccoli and Chees Egg Tart
Assorted Chinese Dim Sum, Pan Fried Turnip Cake served with Soya Sauce

ACCOMPANIMENTS
Grilled Canadian Ham, Turkey Sausage Patty, Hash Brown Potatoes, Grilled Tomato and Broiled Mushrooms

FROM THE BAKERY
Croissants, Muffins, Begels, Bread Rolls, and Fresh Toast served with Preserves, Honey, and Butter

A major highlight of this trip so far is my visit to the Wing after the flight. We arrived approx. 6:00 AM and I proceeding straight to a Cabana. What a treat! Perhaps my fellow CX world travelers who have been here several times will get a kick out the comments of a newbie like me but this alone justified my decision to take the CX route to TPE with the extra connection and all rather than an AA/EVA combo through NRT or SFO.

I’m not usually a bath guy but that deep tub drew my right in! After the long flights and connections, I spoiled myself with a bubble bath and sank! Accompanied by Bach/Handel/or something soothing, soaking in that tub with a cool soda in my hand, I became completely rejuvenated. I then spent an hour overlooking the “river” on the lounge chair, surfed the web a bit on the wireless connection, and then got dressed and headed out to explore. HKG airport was nice but I was a little disappointed to see the same retail outlets we are now seeing in every airport in the world. I took a stroll down to the other end of the airport (intentionally avoiding the tram to stretch my legs a bit) to check out the Pier.

The Pier was also a great place. I check out a day-break room for about an hour to compare with the Cabana. This is smaller than the cabana but is perfect for its intended use – a day-break. No bath facilities but this is a private room with a lounge chair, an LCD TV on the wall in front of me, and an touchscreen control panel at my left. The menu items on the control panel are as follows: Service (drinks, food, etc), lighting adjustment, air conditioning adjustment, blind open/close, alarm , TV on, TV channel, and TV volume. And, of course, a wireless internet connection that I had no trouble using. After my (second!) rest, I went over to the Pier restaurant and had some very tasty dim sum and croissants. Now, it’s off to my last leg today to TPE...(it's now Monday morning local time...I left Boston Saturday afternoon!)