FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ID checker asking questions - name, destination etc.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 3:39 pm
ESpen36
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
This has come up before. I think we decided in previous discussions that it is a "challenge" procedure conducted by the TDCs to confirm that the name on the BP/ID is actually yours. The point would be that if you had usurped somebody else's identity, you might trip up for a second before saying the name, or have to take a moment to think about it. But if you were traveling under your own name and legitimate documents, your name should be the easiest thing in the world to remember.

Clearly, there is no reason to provide an answer. But there's no need to be unpleasant about it, lest you incur some SSSSpecial retaliatory treatment. You could say the following (politely) in response:

TDC Question: What is your name?
Answer: Please check my ID...my name is printed on it.

TDC Question: Where are you traveling today?
Answer: Please check my boarding pass....my destination is printed on it.

I can't imagine that responding in this way would result in problems. And, for the record, I too always say "thank you" when the TDC returns my ID and BP. Sometimes even "have a good one" if the TDC seemed especially friendly.

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 6, 2011 at 11:22 pm