FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Denali National Park travel questions
View Single Post
Old Jul 1, 2011, 9:39 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by jiangxi
1. Is there any reasonably priced lodging in the park so we don't have to finish the school bus trip in one day? We plan to take the wonder lake route. We have never camped and do not plan to do it this time. The only lodging inside the park that I found online cost almost $400 a night, which is way out of our budget.
When do you plan to arrive at Denali NP on Day 1 and when do you plan to depart Denali NP on Day 3? If you were going just a tad later in August, the fall colors would be vivid. They might just be starting to change when you are there.

There is one place in Kantishna that has more reasonably-priced lodging - Skyline Lodge. Check them out. Haven't stayed there (tried once but 1 of 3 nights were full, checking even 6 months in advance) but passed it many times on the bus. Those I talked with who stayed there loved it.

2. If we have to lodge outside the park at the end of day 1, is it worthwhile to do another school bus trip in day 2? 10-hour bus is a lot to take in one day. If we do wonder lake in day 1, any suggestion for day 2 trip?
Absolutely worthwhile, depending on your interests. Most people don't arrive on Day 1 until the afternoon so a long bus ride into the park that day is not possible. But every trip is different. One day you might or might not see bears or wolves. One day the Mountain might or might not be "out." And I will almost guarantee you that you will be surprised how fast the 10 hour bus ride goes. Also, book the shuttle bus in advance as mentioned, and book it to Wonder Lake. But if the Mountain is not "out" that day, get off the bus at Eielson and ask the bus dispatcher there to put you on a different bus heading back to the entrance. The highlight at Wonder Lake is seeing Mt. McKinley from the closest point on the park road.

If you only take the shuttle one day, I would do it on Day 2 (i.e. the day you are at the park for the entire day). Lots to do on Day 1 after you arrive or Day 3 before you depart. Visitor Center exhibits and film, WAC film, sleddog demo, drive the first 15 miles of the park road in the evening or early in the morning (good chances to see wildlife), hike some of the trails near the park entrance - Savage River Loop trail is an easy 2 mile round trip trail at the end of that 15 mile road I suggest you drive at least once on your own.

And note that you need to take all your own food and drink with you into the park when you take the shuttle bus. There is water at Eielson to refill water bottles, but other than that nothing past the entrance area.

Other trails near the entrance are listed on the website mentioned above.

3. Any good trails (no longer than 4 miles total or half a day hike) in the park to recommend? Wife is very afraid of bears, so any device we can bring along to scare them away in the worst scenario?
If you take the shuttle bus on Day 2, you have more time to hike. Bring a bus schedule with you. The only trails in the park are near the entrance, one near Eielson Visitor Center and the McKinley Bar Trail near Wonder Lake. I would strongly suggest you get off the bus somewhere between Toklat and Eielson and do a short hike on the trail-less tundra. It is intimidating at first, for sure. But bears are not hiding around every corner waiting to attack you. In fact, bears want to see you up close less than you want to see them. Talk a lot, clap your hands, sing if you want, be "bear alert" - hike on the open tundra where you can see a good distance and be looking around as you hike. If you see buses stopping in the area where you are hiking, and stopping for quite a while, there is a good chance they are looking at a bear, especially if it is in this area between Tolkat and Eielson.

For day hiking, I like the area called "Highway Pass" - ask a bus driver. Also you can go to Trip Advisor, check the Denali NP forum then look on the top right for Top Questions About Denali. There are a couple of questions about day hiking in Denali NP that are excellent.

Note that on the trail-less tundra you can expect to travel about 1 mile an hour. That sounds slow, but in reality that is the way it is. Trust me!

4. Is the school bus ticket good for one day only or multiple days? I assume that if we stay in the park, one ticket will do. If we come out at the end of day 1 and re-enter in day 2, do we need to buy two-day tickets?
One day only. But if you book the shuttle bus by phone and book two consecutive days, you get a third consecutive day for free. Also, if you camp inside the park (RV or tent) or stay at Skyline Lodge and take the camper bus to the Lodge, "camper bus" tickets are valid for your entire stay inside the park as long as you stay west of mile 20 (i.e. as long as you don't come back to the paved portion of the road). But the camper bus ticket most likely won't apply to you.

5. I read Healy is a better town for lodging than the town right by the entrance. Since we drive a rental car, we are flexible staying where rates are lower. As long as it doens't take more than 20 minutes to get to the entrance, we will consider.
Both Healy (15 minutes north) and Carlo Creek (15 minutes south) are much better places to stay than right outside the entrance (calling it a "town" is funny - it is a conglomeration of hotels and gift shops!). As much as I despise and avoid that area, I got an unbeatable deal for a hotel there last month so spent my first and last nights in that area, and in between camped at Wonder Lake Campground.

6. Other nearby places (hikes, scenic drives, etc..) outside the park is worth exploring?
If you like river rafting you can do that. Denali Outdoor Center is an excellent company.

Last edited by fti; Jul 1, 2011 at 9:46 am