FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - checking soft luggage + a cart?
View Single Post
Old Jul 1, 2011, 2:06 am
N1120A

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by _ABB_
I'm all for wheel-less carry-on items, see my other posts.

BUT... for checked luggage, wheels usually imply structure. I would not check a duffel bag unless it were a last resort. I travel for business so I always have suits, jackets, slacks, etc in my checked bag and need the structure of a framed bag to keep my clothes unwrinkled. It seems like getting the hand truck and carrying that could be more of a hassle than it's worth.
Look up Doug Dyment's bundle packing method or the bundling style written about by tfar/Till in the sticky at the top of this forum. Works for any rectangular shaped bag, soft or hard. I bundle suits in my Air Boss all the time and it works great.

Further, why check at all? Why not just carry on your suits and shirts for business travel?

Originally Posted by henryjin
Hello all,

I've read about how soft-sided luggage is better than wheeled luggage for carry-ons...but what about checked luggage? It seems that wheels are necessary due to the weight...but if you check two bags having two wheeled luggage is pretty unwieldy.

I've been thinking about buying a couple Aviator duffels from Red Oxx and buying a portable cart/hand truck of some form (like this one) on which I could stack both of them. I lose some of my weight to the cart, but less than I would if I had two pieces of wheeled luggage...plus I gain some versatility.

Has anyone had experience with this? Are there any advantages to wheeled checked luggage?
Here is the thing about the aviator duffels, which are great bags - they can only be carried by hand. No shoulder strap and no place for one. If you insist on a bigger checked bag, why not go with something convenient like the Big Oxx that has backpack straps as well?

As for hand trucks, there are ones that weigh a pound or less for quite reasonable prices on Amazon