FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:49 am
wideman

Originally Posted by Aldarion
Tomorrow I'm flying on SAA from JFK to JNB; arriving at 8:35 AM and need to catch another SAA flight on to LLW (Malawi) at 10 AM. I will have one carry on with me and since I'm on SAA the whole way my checked luggage should be tagged to go all the way to Lilongwe when I drop it off at JFK. I will be departing from Terminal B at JNB for the flight to LLW; my tickets are unclear about which terminal my flight from JFK arrives at. I already have my boarding passes for both flights printed; do you think that 1 hour 25 mins will be sufficient to make my connection? From what the previous posts say, it sounds like I just need to dash to the international transit desk, show my passport and boarding pass, and continue on to my gate. Is that correct or do I need to wait in line at customs or immigration at some point as well?
SAA uses the same terminal at JNB for all international flights. When you exit from the JFK flight, look for the signs that say "International transfer" (or maybe International Transit), and follow that sign. You'll go through a passport check (but not immigration control) and a security check, and you'll then be in the departure area of the international terminal. Find and head to your departure gate for Lilongwe, and you'll be set.

The whole procedure is not likely to take more than 15-20 minutes after you get off the plane from JFK (or possibly 30 mins, if you are parked at a bus gate).