FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Our Honeymoon; LHR-YYZ BA in F, Fairmont Royal York; TheFalls & Boathouse (photos!)
Old Jun 28, 2011, 3:18 pm
malkie

Programs: BA
Around Toronto

CIMG2665 by malkie76, on Flickr
Inside Union Station

CIMG2666 by malkie76, on Flickr
Fairmont from ground level

CIMG2667 by malkie76, on Flickr
Skywalk to the CN Tower (in the background of this shot)

CIMG2677 by malkie76, on Flickr
View of Fairmont from the CN Tower

CIMG2678 by malkie76, on Flickr
View of Toronto Island Airport from the CN Tower - it's not often planes are flying below you

CIMG2649 by malkie76, on Flickr
Scuplture Garden entrance

We managed to catch most of the tourist locations we wanted during our stay here. CN Tower (obviously), but also the Art Gallery Ontario, Royal Ontario Museum, and the Museum of Inuit Art (recommended). I particularly enjoyed a walk through the historical distillery area, then on to St Lawerences market. There is plenty we missed, but we can always return.

CIMG2704 by malkie76, on Flickr
Amazing Inuit art

CIMG2777 by malkie76, on Flickr
Art Gallery Ontario

CIMG2780 by malkie76, on Flickr
Me outside Royal Ontario Museum (I try to make one appearance in my TRs)

One odd point of interest is Honest Eds store on Bloor St. It sells a load of utter crap, but the Honest Jo also owned a number of Toronto threatres, and the inside of his store is a tribute to the shows and acts he has entertained over the years. Floor to ceiling signed head-shot photos and show advertising posters fill large parts of this otherwise uninteresting shop.

CIMG2650 by malkie76, on Flickr
Outside Honest Eds

CIMG2652 by malkie76, on Flickr
Inside Honest Eds

About a block east from there is a bar with a roof terrace looking out across Toronto - we found it totally by accident but had a lovely hour or so there enjoying the view.

Food throughout the trip was great - I particularly enjoyed a surf-and-turf in a steakhouse a block from the Fairmont, and the quality and selection of the food to be found in Chinatown. The people of Toronto were friendly and welcoming without exception. As our time in Toronto drew to a close we agreed it was somewhere we would like to return to, and could genuinely understand why people from the UK move there.

CIMG2724 by malkie76, on Flickr
Steakhouse surf and turf for me, while Mrs Malkie enjoys a salmon salad

CIMG2778 by malkie76, on Flickr
Far too much chinese food for two people

Next steps were to collect a car from Avis, with a pick-up point essentially next door to the Fairmont.