FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Christmas Day in TONGA ..............
View Single Post
Old Dec 21, 2002, 9:31 pm
Jeeves

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Thanks for your unusual trip report. We are used to hearing about upgraded rooms, free breakfasts, celebrity sightings, outrageous meals, and the like. It's refreshing to hear about local culture.

Your church experience sounds like a real winner. The correct spelling is Pentecostal. My wife grew up in the South where Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky all meet. I've been to a few wild church services. You are right about the rocking bands. They usually have a guitarist, bass player, drummer, and keyboard player. Full amplification. The whole congregation singing and shouting at the top of their lungs.

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and there were a dozen or so Tongans that went to my high school. They were the largest humans on the planet but they were also very calm and relaxed. They had that laid back island thing going.

I like their use of "Kingdom" in the name of their country. Very old world exotic.

What is it about the South Pacific. It seems like all of these island nations contain the nicest people any of us have ever met.

Looking forward to more posts from the land of 1K Ale.