FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Christmas Day in TONGA ..............
View Single Post
Old Dec 21, 2002, 8:38 pm
ozstamps
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Christmas Day in TONGA ..............

This is I imagine without doubt the first post EVER on Flyertalk from the Kingdom Of Tonga.

It is Sunday early evening here. December 21. Tonga is a strongly Christian country - the most observant I have ever visited actually. By Royal Edict, everything is closed in Tonga on Sundays. No shops, no markets, no restaurants, no bars, no taxis. No nothing. All air (and sea) travel is totally banned even inter-island. All bars MUST close at midnight Saturday etc. (I am using the hotel computer to post this.)

The only thing to do (well the only thing to do outside your room ) is to go to Church. There are lots of churches. Many 100s of churches on this main island alone. We chose the (Pantecostalist?) Assembly Of God variety up the road from the hotel. No altars, no crucifixes, or even any religious portraits or statues or images of any kind whatsoever inside. Quite a culture shock to a lapsed catholic altar boy used to total screaming religious overkill inside churches.

It was a 3 hour sevice entirely conducted in the Tongan language. Not surprising as on Tonga almost no English is spoken. All locals, even youngsters converse entirely in the unique Tongan language. Those in service industry have "just" very rudimentary English we have found so far. Apart from Joh and I, the few 100 congregation was entirely Tongan. All dressed in their 'Sunday Best', which for most meant new thick, rigid, woven straw skirts - men and women. Boy they must be uncomforatable to sit in as they wear them OVER long skirts or pants. Lots of kids there too.

The pastor (?) introduced himself enthusiastically prior to the proceedings commencing. He later introduced us to the congregation, and asked us to stand up - to a burst of applause.

He came and sat next to us after his sermonising was done with which was a friendly thing to do. At the end of the service everyone goes in a circle and shakes hands with everyone else.

We seem to be almost accepted as "locals" now. Walking back after church families in vans going home slowed down and were tooting and waving and smiling. (Maybe they were just making a comment about my loud Hawaaian type shirt .. who knows?)

Talk about a happy and joyous church service. A mini rock band with Marshall Amps, electric organ and guitars, full drum kit, and line of back up girl singers led the way. In the congregation - Lots of arm waving, standing, swaying, hand clapping, singalongs, whooping and hollering and loud "Hallelujahs" .... or whatever that is in Tongan. These folks really swing. Quite an uplifting morning.

The end of each song is really bizarre. Everyone goes off on a 60 second rap trip seperately. Singing about problems/thanks/wishes .. I have no idea. But all loud, and all different. A strange thing to hear all morning.

I've regrettably never attended a fundamentalist Sunday service in deepest Alabama or Mississippi etc, but I suspect this is somewhat the Tongan version of that.

The Tongans are huge people. The shoulders and neck of most men are twice my size, and I am no midget. But the name "The Friendly Islands" is no marketing gimmick. Everyone you pass on the steet smiles and says "Hello". Even gangs of teenage youths hanging around shops or street corners .... who back home I'd be wary of going too near all smile and say 'hi' here. Very interesting place to visit so far.

The view from our "hotel" room window is literally a full-on barnyard. Lots of chickens, and one huge fat pig (but with a long wagging tail) all happily co-existing in the mess, amid palm trees, Guava and bananas etc. Coconuts everywhere here. (Tropical climate identical to Hawaii.)

Will the fattened pig survive past Christmas Day???????????
(Bearing in mind pork on the spit is a big festive favourite here.) We will keep you posted!

The TV choice is interesting. There is only 1 channel ... receivable via basically non functioning "rabbit ears" aerial. Like I had in the 1950s as a kid - "snowy" and blurry. The programming for the past 2 days has been zealous religious evangelist stuff only. Shades of Jim and Tammy Fae Baaker. Whether it changes later in the week time will tell, but with Chrsitmas only 3 days away ........... watch this space.

A curious footnote. The Tongan made beer is called "1K Ale", which is pretty funny to be serving to 2 x United 1Ks to drink! The Crown Prince Laifone of Tonga set up the brewery - his photo is on the metallic foil label. "1K Ale Export Beer - 5% Alcohol - Royal Beer Company Limited, Kingdom Of Tonga" it says.

Any 1K reading this who wants a label for their UA kitsch collection please let me know, as I will peel a few off and mail them. I suspect after a week here we will have QUITE a stack.

I read today that TONGA is the first country on earth to host the dawn of each day, so I guess we will get CHRISTMAS DAY a few/a lot of hours ahead of y'all.

------------------
~ Glen ~ Calling all United 1K Members - please join .. www.1Kflyers.com

[Edited to correct "pentecostalist" spelling!]

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 12-23-2002).]