FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Third runway at Hong Kong International Airport ‘going to be needed’ - Cathay Pacific
Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:34 pm
percysmith
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Cooperation always sounds good good on paper, but never practical in application. I have tried flying to Shenzhen and then make my way to Hong Kong, and it's clumsy to say the least. I've tried the Bus ride to Lo-Hu, 1 to 1.5 hours depending on traffic. Then Lo-Hu custom is a nightmare in itself, a good hour for "foreigner" to pass the China and Hong Kong side, and then you can look forward another 30-45 minutes train ride to your destination in Hong Kong. Plus waiting time (for luggage, bus, train, etc.) that's a good 4 extra hours, not exactly my idea of "convenience." Fu-Tien (Lo Mak Chou) custom port is not much better for "foreigners" as the desks open are usually 3-4 and service is ultra slow
We loathe having to travel to our PRC destinations through Bao'an now. I'm willing to concede the current inconveninence may be amoleriated if Route 8 and the AEL had been built to Bao'an instead of Chep Lap Kok. The new Shenzhen Bay is a reasonably comfortable way to get accross the border right now (if you go by car).

But still the loss of control over when to expand is still a concern. Until the Mainlanders can demonstrate they can get their act together to build adequate airport (at least, without the presence such a face-preserving activity such as the Olympics on PEK).