FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Circle Pacific on oneworld: CGK-HKG-YVR-JFK-LAX-MEL-SYD-CGK
Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:55 am
quirrow

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Qantas Lounge in Melbourne

Qantas Premium Check-in Counter

The Jetbus in Melbourne picked me up right on time and it was already waiting outside the lobby at 12 noon but I was just checking out and I had to ask the driver to wait for 5 more minutes. It was a leisurely ride to the airport since it was early and I reached the domestic terminal 1 around 12:35. I headed straight to the Business class check in counters just beside the security screening and there was no queue. The lady agent had some trouble with my ticket though which might be due to the change in schedule that I had made in LAX Qantas counter. What happened was I had 2 reservations for the day between MEL and SYD, one on a much earlier flight. Due to the hourly departures, I was offered the chance to board an earlier flight, but since I knew it would be a narrow-body 737 operating the earlier flight, I chose to stick with the one I am booked on since I knew it would be a 767.

Melbourne Tullamarine Domestic Terminal

The whole check in process took around 5 minutes to get it sorted out and it caused a queue behind since she was the only one working the business class check-in counter. I got directions from the agent after getting my boarding pass. Though the boarding pass had no sleeve this time round and no pink business priority luggage tags either. The security line was just beside the check-in counter and it was a breeze compared to the States and no shoes, or coats need to be taken off. Short queues meant I was past security and on my way to the Qantas Club lounge just a short walk off security. I took some photos at the central atrium food court first past security as it had an expansive view of the tarmac.

Pair of Qantas Dash-8s

Lexus CT200h on display

There was a Lexus CT200h exhibit in the entrance to the lounge and one just need to take the escalator up to the 2nd floor to get to the reception. It was a huge lounge that had great views out into the tarmac. The lounge area has several sections - a seating area facing the tarmac, and a more secluded corner divided by a dining area. There was also a bar area with table and stools facing a large LCD screen. I sat down in the more secluded corner and got myself some mushroom soup to start with before getting some Thai vermicelli salad with bread, salami and ham.

Cold platters selection at the Qantas Lounge

Dining area in the Qantas Lounge

Seating area

There was also an assortment of brownies, cookies and sweets to be had with a good cup of cappuccino. I sat down to try out the wifi and it works alright, better than the slow service at LAX. Other beverages served includes juices, and a bar counter serving a variety of wines, beer and of course champagne. There are also ample magazines for passengers to choose from and a magazine kiosk selling what they don't provide. The magazine kiosk is a nice touch in a lounge as it allows passengers to purchase some travel necessities as well without leaving the lounge. Overall it was great lounge and the only downside I found was that warm food choices are limited.

Cappucino and Brownies after a meal at the Lounge

Lounge area with a View