FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:16 pm
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by scwam
What is the benefit of buying e-certs vs just ordering the coins? Does the name show up differently on the statement? I know it may help to advance a spending deadline, but any other reason?
The only reason I can think of would be to meet a spending deadline. Especially if someone doesn't have an exemption and the mint is behind.

I would be a little nervous about ordering an e-certificate myself for a couple reasons. One minor concern would be if the mint would say they could no longer be used on circulating coins (which I really don't see that happening and could see some legal issues, but if I gave a coin collector a mint gift certificate I would also be upset if I found out he cashed them in on dollar coins).

My biggest worry would be if the mint pulled this program, which they have the right to do, and I would be stuck with mint gift certificates I would have to spend on other things I wouldn't want or need.