FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - aa.com: “The flight(s) or fare selected is no longer available.” Please modify...
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:18 pm
lobo411

Thanks for the run down. I knew that they were leaders back in the day, but I'm suspicious of promises of a newer/better computer system. California has been building a better state gov't computer network for the last 20 years, and now, hundreds of millions of dollars later, it still doesn't exist. You can't just graft a new network onto a 1960s era mainframe network and expect it to work.

But be that as it may, I've come to the conclusion that what I'm experiencing isn't a bug at all. I think it's deliberate.

Here's the results of my experience looking at summer fares this year (I've tried dozens of itins over the last few months).

There are two different patterns, depending on whether the destination is serviced by nonstops. Example:

SBA-BOS:
I was able to book this route as SBA-LAX-MIA-BOS, or SBA-LAX-BOS for every fare I was offered.

I was NOT able to book fares for SBA-LAX-DFW-BOS, or SBA-LAX-ORD-BOS, except at the very highest fare classes. (Generally, only fares > $600 were bookable)

SBA-MCI:
There is no nonstop service from LAX to MCI. I was able to book SBA-LAX-DFW-MCI fine, for every date I tried.

And the above behavior magically disappears after 9/1. I'm perfectly able to book any fare I'm offered regardless of routing after 9/1. I was perfectly able to book any fare I was offered before April. It was only this summer that I was unable to book any deep discount fare involving a connection between LAX - destination that I'm offered as long as parallel nonstop service exists.

I thought maybe the problem was SBA, but I tried running the above using FAT and Sacramento as the origin cities and they didn't work either. Originating from LAX = no problems.

What does this mean?

* It could be that AA is already getting hosed on Eagle flights to the hubs, so maybe they don't want the business unless it's worth it to them.

* It could be that this is connected to the recent DEQM offers. My problems started exactly when these offers were announced. I never had so much trouble booking on AA in my life. Is it a coincidence that all these problems disappear right when the DEQM promo does?

* It could be that they want to save Eagle seats on these routes because they're holding out for higher revenue pax than the deep discount fares I've been trying to book. SBA flights have *not* been oversold or even full, though.