Old Jun 23, 11, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,483
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
And if you aren't leaving until Tuesday afternoon, you should be fine for sure. UPS goes out next day air with delivery by 10:30 AM so even if it goes out monday you will have it tuesday by 10:30. IME with the mint, it should go out tonight and you should have tomorrow.
I had several occasions that were cutting so close that now my standard practice is NOT to order anything 10 days before a trip, even with In Stock situation.

The last 2 such occasions were the last straws.

In March we had an unusually foggy weather so all the flights from Louisville were severely delayed and the usual 10:30AM latest delivery did not happen until almost 12:30. We need to be at MIA by 3:00 and even traffic willing it is a 40-50 min drive.... for a 10 days trip to California and Hawaii. There were some anxious phone calls to UPS to track where the truck was. lol.

In April again 2 orphan boxes arrived on the day we traveled. This time we were going on a 16 days cruise (extended by 25 days land trip for almost 6 weeks long trip). We could sacrifice our lunch on board and wait till 3PM for the darn thing to arrive and it finally did close to 11:30AM.

10 days hold (already double the normal hold window) might be possible, 6 weeks hold? I seriously doubt it.

With this back log situation, unless one has a PO box delivery, one should not order anything if there is a pending trip.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 23, 11 at 2:39 pm
Happy is offline