FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA sent me another person's receipt or travel info / sent my info to wrong email
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:24 am
dgcpaphd

Originally Posted by benblaney

I was trying to check-in for a united flight about six weeks ago, and when I tried, and there's the screen for passport information it was already populated...with some other guy's information. I could see his full name, last three digits of passport number, passport expiration, etc.

Then it happened again earlier this month. I was pretty hot about it, and fired off an email to the 1k mailbox, and copied Jeff Smisek. I asked for four things: to know whether my personal information had been compromised like the other guy; that the other guy be notified; that the situation be rectified asap; and an apology.
Although this information should not have been shown in your account, what harm was done by seeing someones' name and the last three digits and expiration date of the passport? This little bit of information is not a basis for identity theft. The date of birth is missing as well as other identifying data. There is no city listed -

I am not clear why you would ask United for an apology over this minor error.

Originally Posted by benblaney

Finally, I got an email from united offering me a $200 goodwill certificate, valid only for domestic travel within the U.S. (and so, given my personal circumstances and travel preferences, completely useless for me). I responded, copied Smisek again and said that it was a lousy offer of goodwill for a potentially massive security breach involving my personal sensitive data.
I am also not clear why you would expect compensation over this error even though you classified the error as "potentially massive security breach involving my personal sensitive data" at the same time you have no knowledge that your name appeared in another passengers' account.

In the end, the situation is merely one more (of many) computer problems with United.com, not some "potentially massive security breach."
-