FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EU citizen living in the US on a J1 visa visiting Cuba
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:35 pm
popcalent

EU citizen living in the US on a J1 visa visiting Cuba

Hello,

I'll be visiting Cuba this summer. I live in the US and I'll fly to the Cayman Islands.

I have a EU passport and I'm on a J1 visa, so technically I am not a resident, I am a visitor. Actually, one time I put on the I-94 form that my country of residence was the US (because I thought they meant the country where I live) and the immigration officer crossed it out and put my EU native country instead. He told me I'm not considered a resident, but rather a visitor.

I have paid everything in the Cayman portion of the trip with my US credit card (airfares, hotels, rental car). But the Cuba portion of the trip I paid with my European credit card issued by a European bank where I have all the money I made in Europe before ever coming to the US. I never transferred any money from my US account to that account, but I don't know if that's relevant.

I will only be using my European credit card in Cuba to withdraw the local currency. My US credit card is not going anywhere outside my wallet while in Cuba (it wouldn't work there anyway).

I don't want to lie on the immigration and customs forms and I'm going to list Cuba as a visited country. What should I expect when clearing (hopefully) immigration at Miami airport?

Thanks!