FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting the runaround about a mileage upgrade
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:15 pm
LondonAndy

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hotturnip
OK, this is my first post with BA.
Welcome to the BA fold...

When I finally talked to an agent, she insisted (rather haughtily) that I could only upgrade one cabin. I said the website seemed to indicate otherwise.
It does say "1.Miles for Upgrade bookings can only be made online at ba.com or direct with British Airways. An existing booking can be upgraded up until check in online at ba.com or by contacting your local service centre or sales office. A Miles for Upgrade cannot be booked at airport ticket desks. The upgrade is a single cabin upgrade from Euro Traveller to Club Europe, World Traveller to World Traveller Plus (where fitted on the aircraft), World Traveller to Club World (where World Traveller Plus is not fitted on the aircraft), World Traveller Plus to Club World, Club World to First."

I then proceeded to try to upgrade to Plus. She said she would have to forward the request, then I would have to call back in 48 hours and confirm and pay a change fee. What?! I told her the website gave no indication of any cost for upgrades; she again insisted. When I inquired about the cost, she put me on hold to examine my ticket rules. When she came back, she apologized and said my ticket was not upgradeable because it was booked through a travel agent (Orbitz).
It is covered in the rules (my bolding):
"2.Miles for Upgrade is permitted on eligible British Airways published fares only (Fare classes are: J, C, D, R, I, W, E, T, Y, B, H) but is not permitted on bookings made with a travel agent. Miles for Upgrade is not permitted where flights are sold as part of a package holiday or where flights and ground arrangements, such as prepaid hotels, cars, transfers and experiences, are booked and paid for in the same transaction. Flights booked and paid for separately from any ground arrangements remain eligible for Miles for Upgrade. Miles for Upgrade can only be applied to bookings which are made in the member's Executive Club membership country. "

So my real questions to you experts are:

1. Is this SOP for BA? Is there anywhere I can get the REAL rules and regulations for using this 100K+ miles I'm going to have? (By the time I finish this trip and use the credit card I'll end up with about 125K.)

2. Is this Executive Club agent correct? Do I have any recourse?

3. To whom would I write a complaint letter about their misleading website and secret policies? Is it even worth it?

Sorry to be so lengthy, but it was kind of a long story.
1. Please see the rules in the links above.

2. Yes. Did you advise Orbitz you wanted to use miles to upgrade? I guess not as they're online, in which case I'm afraid I don't think you have recourse.

3. They aren't secret policies, but the terms and conditions. You can contact customer relations here.

I hope that you enjoy the trip regardless. I know how much it hurts when we get tripped up by terms and conditions, but when we all tick the box that says we understand the terms we have to accept the consequences.