FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First Class on Amtrak's Coast Starlight
View Single Post
Old Aug 20, 2002, 7:31 pm
bennytma

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Thanks Seat 2A for the trip report. I love taking the train. The equip west of Chicago is by far better on average than that on the eastern routes although the new Viewliner sleeper cars are quite nice.
I agree with greggwiggins, the Empire Builder route offers some amazing views especially from the dome cafe car. I spent one Christmas at the Isaac Walton Inn in Glacier National Park. It offers great breakfasts and amazing cross country skiing.
Being able to walk around (no drink carts to block the way and no seatbelt signs) and watch some of the best views in America roll by is much more relaxing than any flight I have taken. Well perhaps that is the case because I have yet to fly upfront.

Regardless, I dont know what is worse, a 3 hour airline delay or a 1+ day train ride with a FROZEN KITCHEN. KFC and wine from Fargo, ND for New Year´s eve wasnt my idea of a New Year´s party. At least on the train we could get off and buy something for ourselves and for those chain smokers, have a smoke!

Amtrak travel out west is a must especially for those of us who spend so much time in tin cans whipping across this beautiful planet at 40,000 ft. Flying is quick and convenient but the ambiance of a train is unmatched.