FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First Class on Amtrak's Coast Starlight
View Single Post
Old Jan 27, 2002, 1:27 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
LordMitford-

Thanks for the memories! I too experienced only average service on the New York to Florida trains I rode. The longer western services are where Amtrak really shines, particularly if you purchase a bedroom.

It's worth noting that in the sleeping compartments, an electrical outlet is provided so if you have a laptop for work or DVDs, you won't need extra batteries.

Although all of the long distance routes have their scenic charms, I totally agree with you that the California Zephyr is special. The run through the Rockies and the beautiful Utah desert are done in the daylight and are not to be missed. I think many people are surprised to find how pretty the scenery through Utah is. We have four distinctly different deserts in the American West and Utah's portion of the Great American Basin with its buttes and canyons is truly amongst the more spectacular.

You folks back east are not left wanting in the scenery department either. I think it would make a great weekend trip to ride "The Adirondack" in the spring or fall from New York City to either upstate New York (Get off at Westport, NY, on the shores of Lake Champlain and my favorite town east of the Mississippi) or ride all the way into Montreal. If you're riding between New York/Washington and Chicago, "The Cardinal" takes longer than the Capitol Limited or The Lake Shore Limited but in my opinion offers much nicer scenery. Riding eastbound from Chicago and waking up along the Ohio River in southern Ohio is a real treat! Later, the mountains of West Virginia and Maryland's Cumberland region hold your attention as no book or movie ever could.

You mentioned being on the train from Tuesday to Friday. Back in 1984, I boarded the night train in Oaxaca, Mexico on my way to Havre, Montana. I connected in Mexico City to the northbound train to Juarez, then crossed the border to El Paso and hooked up with the Sunset Limited in Los Angeles. From there, I rode the Coast Starlight up to Portland and connected to the Empire Builder through the Columbia River gorge and Glacier National Park into Havre. In all, seven straight days aboard trains though I had some longer layovers at connecting points. Over the course of that journey, I met some great people, had an unintended adventure between Juarez and El Paso and saw this continent like I never would have had I flown.

All aboard!

[This message has been edited by Seat 2A (edited 01-27-2002).]